Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Will Draw For Food



I am a great fan of the idea of the Barter System: I can create something you like, and you have something that I need. Trade.
I have had a pretty good spell of luck here in Győr, Hungary. I have met some incredible people that have reached out a helping hand to help nurture my art, feeling it was something worth aiding and assisting to grow. I am speechless when I think about the opportunities I have literally been handed this past year – it has given me so much confidence with what I am doing, to see that so many people have gone out of their way to give me the chance to devote myself entirely to painting. I myself have seen an obvious change in the size and caliber of my work; I feel it is a little sharper, a little more sophisticated than before.


Faced with a cold winter unlike anything else I have experienced back in sunny warm Australia, my two main concerns were obviously shelter and sustenance – the basics for survival. Through my art and the help of the Győr Art Museum I was able to acquire both. As amazing as figuring out a trade for my accommodation was, even more amazing was when a local restaurant, Szalai, decided to help me through the winter by providing me with a free meal a day in return for one of my paintings.
I tortured myself over what to paint for them, I wanted it to be something very special… but who knows if they would appreciate a flower decked maiden in a floral frock, or rouged coquette reclining on a Victorian lounge… so I opted for something simpler and more mainstream, choosing to paint a portrait/ intimate dining scene inside the restaurant.

 
I took it to a local framer, and I have to say I am thrilled with the result. I want to see ALL of my paintings framed ALWAYS; I think they look wonderful behind glass with a handsome frame :-}


5 comments:

  1. What about the other two meals??! ó_ò
    I love the shots of you peeking out from behind your artworks ^_^
    Keep u and your belly warm xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is lovely! The size of the painting is perfect for the restaurant setting and I agree with you that a good frame really brings out the beauty of the artwork. :) I am glad you found a network of people that help you to accomplish your projects and studies...you deserve it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy to hear that people are supporting and encouraging you to continue with your art by helping you. This is so exciting and yes, your art looks awesome framed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amal - for breakfast I just drink tea. Lunch here is a two course meal, soup and a main. So I would eat bread with my soup to fill me up for lunch and take away the main as my dinner :-D Out of one free meal I managed to make two, you gotta be thrifty!!!

    Thanks for all the encouraging comments darlings!!!

    ReplyDelete

Oh! How did you know? I absolutely adore comments, thank you! :-) I appreciate all the feedback I get xx